(East Los Angeles, CA) June 10, 2022 [From The Editor’s Desk]: Although it seems like the new season has just started, WNBA fans are now being asked to cast their votes for its new, finely tuned, fun, and different style of an All-Star Game for this season. It’s a complete departure from the way things used to be when it comes to watching and appreciating the “Best of the Best” battle at a great competitive level. The WNBA’s All-Star Game & Week has now become similar to, but not exactly like their counterparts in the NBA. A change can be good for the All-Star game. Everything you’ll need to know about voting for your favorites player(s), and all of the new changes for players and fans, can be found in this story.
VOTING FOR AT&T WNBA ALL-STAR 2022 TIPPED OFF JUNE 3rd
– Fans Will Be Able to Vote for WNBA All-Stars via WNBA.com, the WNBA App, and Twitter –
– All-Star Captains to Draft Teams from Pool of Starters and Reserves “Live” on ESPN on Saturday, July 2nd –
– AT&T WNBA All-Star Game Set for Sunday, July 10, on ABC –
NEW YORK, June 2, 2022 – Fan voting for AT&T WNBA All-Star 2022 tipped-off last Friday, June 3rd at 2:00 p.m. ET, and concludes on Monday, June 20th at 11:59 p.m. ET, giving fans the opportunity to vote for the All-Star Starters.
AT&T WNBA All-Star 2022 will be played in Chicago at Wintrust Arena, home of the defending WNBA Champion Chicago Sky, on Sunday, July 10th (ABC, noon CT/1 p.m. ET), and will be the centerpiece of a weekend full of WNBA activities.
Throughout the voting period, fans may submit one full ballot each day via WNBA.com and the WNBA App, as well as vote for up to (10) unique players per day on Twitter. All WNBA players currently on team rosters will be available for selection. Two “2-for-1 Days” will allow fans to have their votes count twice on June 14th and June 18th through Twitter, WNBA.com and the WNBA App voting platforms. Each “2-for-1 Day” will be designated from midnight ET – 11:59 p.m. ET.
AT&T WNBA All-Star 2022 will feature the league’s biggest and brightest stars selected from across the entire WNBA without regard to conference affiliation.
WNBA players and media will join fans in selecting the All-Star starters. Fans will account for 50 percent of the vote, while all current players and a media panel will account for 25 percent each. Players and media panelists will be able to complete one ballot, featuring four guards and six frontcourt players.
After all votes are tallied, players will be ranked by position (guard and frontcourt) within each of the three voting groups – fan votes, player votes and media votes. Each player’s score will be calculated by averaging their weighted rank from the fan votes, the player votes and the media votes. The four guards and six frontcourt players with the best score will be named as starters for AT&T WNBA All-Star 2022. Fan voting will serve as the tiebreaker for players in a position group with the same score.
The 10 All-Star starters, including the two captains, will be revealed on Wednesday, June 22. After the announcement of the starters, the league’s head coaches will select the 12 reserves. The head coaches will vote for three guards, five frontcourt players and four players at either position regardless of conference. They may not vote for their own players. The reserves will be announced on Tuesday, June 28.
The captains – the two All-Star starters who receive the most fan votes – will draft their respective rosters by selecting first from the remaining eight players in the pool of starters and then from the pool of 12 reserves. ESPN will broadcast the WNBA All-Star Team Selection Special on Saturday, July 2nd at (3:00pm ET).
[HOW TO VOTE]:
- Desktop and mobile web: To vote online from a desktop or mobile device, fans should visit the official WNBA All-Star 2022 ballot page at vote.wnba.com. Fans may vote for a minimum of one player and maximum of 10, through submitting one full ballot per day (defined as once every 24 hours) including the selection of up to four guards and six frontcourt players regardless of conference.
- WNBA App: To vote through the WNBA App using iOS or Android devices, fans must visit the WNBA All-Star Voting ballot page via the menu options in the top left corner of the App. Fans may vote for a minimum of one player and maximum of 10, through submitting one full ballot per day (defined as once every 24 hours) including the selection of up to four guards and six frontcourt players regardless of conference. The WNBA App can be downloaded for free from the Apple App Store or Google Play.
- Twitter: Fans may tweet, retweet, or reply with a hashtag of a WNBA player’s first and last name (#FirstNameLastName) or Twitter handle. Tweets must include the WNBA All-Star hashtag – #WNBAAllStar – in order to be valid. Each individual tweet may include only one player’s name or handle. Fans may submit a maximum of 10 unique player valid votes per Twitter handle per day (defined as once every 24 hours). Each of the up to 10 votes per day must be for a different WNBA player. Fans voting via a Twitter account must have the “protect my tweets” option unchecked in the settings of their Twitter account.
The head coaches for the AT&T WNBA All-Star 2022 will be the head coaches of the two teams regardless of conference with the best records following games on Friday, June 24. The head coach with the best record as of that date will coach the team whose captain earned the most fan votes.
In addition to the AT&T WNBA All-Star Game, the WNBA will unveil its new, two-day, “WNBA Live” at the nearby McCormick Place, the setting for the 2022 Nike Tournament of Champions and the Girls Nike Nationals. An interactive, outdoor event, WNBA Live will provide fans an opportunity to experience the intersection of the WNBA, entertainment and pop culture.
On Saturday, July 9, a selection of the league’s top stars will display their talents for a special audience – the participants in the Girls Nike Nationals – as the two WNBA All-Star teams will conduct practices indoors at McCormick Place where the Nike TOC and Girls Nike Nationals are taking place. Then, at 2 p.m. CT (3 p.m. ET), the WNBA 2022 MTN DEW® 3-Point Contest and WNBA Skills Challenge will take place at McCormick Place, broadcast live by ESPN.
Tickets for the 2022 AT&T WNBA All-Star Game may be purchased through Ticketmaster.com or through the Wintrust Arena box office. # # #