(East Los Angeles, CA) [From The Editor’s Desk]: Leave it up to El Capitán, #10 Carlos Vega, to right the ship when it steers off-course and needs to make a speedy correction and get back on the winning track once again. The Captain stepped up just in the nick of time on Saturday’s match against Sporting Kansas City to eke out a badly needly road win at that. They racked up 3 points to add on to their record in the standings. To recap the play, it was an amazing 30 yard+ long looping pass right in the midfield area, from #33/Aaron Long to Vela, who did the rest and scored on a “1-on-1” match-up that sealed the dramatic come-from-behind win.
Along with the winning goal and the victory, the result moved the LAFC/Black & Gold into becoming the fastest team ever in Major League Soccer history to earn 300 points. The match attendance was 19,410
Here is the LAFC’ Staff’s full account of the huge win.
LATE CARLOS VELA GOAL GIVES LAFC 2-1 WIN ON ROAD
LAFC BECOMES FASTEST TEAM IN MLS HISTORY TO 300 POINTS
The Los Angeles Football Club (LAFC) came from behind and defeated Sporting Kansas City 2-1 Saturday night at Children’s Mercy Park in Kansas City.
Carlos Vela scored the game-winning goal in the 90th minute to give LAFC the win, snapping a three-game winless streak and making the Black & Gold the quickest team in MLS history to reach 300 points. LAFC hit the 302-point mark in just 174 MLS regular season games starting in 2018.
Kansas City got on the board first when Alan Pulido converted a penalty kick in the 17th minute. LAFC would even the score in the 48th minute on a Denil Maldonado header, his first MLS goal, and then Vela would find the winner after a full-field assist from Aaron Long. It appeared that Sporting Kansas City had tied the match in stoppage time, but Roger Espinoza’s header goal was disallowed by a foul called on SKC’s Khiry Shelton earlier in the play.
To view the recap and the match highlights, just scroll down a bit till you see the video graphic after clicking here
LAFC is now 8-3-5 (29 points) and sits atop the Western Conference with St. Louis City. LAFC will return home for another two-match week facing the Seattle Sounders on Wednesday, June 21 and Vancouver Whitecaps on Saturday, June 24 at BMO Stadium. Both matches will kick off at 7:30 PM PT and will be broadcast on MLS Season Pass on Apple TV / ESPN LA 710 AM/ 980 AM La Mera Mera.
[NEWS & NOTES FROM LAFC STAFF]
- LAFC became the quickest team to reach 300 points in MLS history with the victory, reaching 302 total points in 174 total games.
- Including tonight’s match, LAFC is now 8-3-5 on the season for 29 points. LAFC sits in first place in the Western Conference, tied with St. Louis City.
- Defender Aaron Long made his 150th MLS Regular Season appearance.
- Defender Julian Gaines made his first MLS Regular Season and LAFC start.
- Forward Nathan Ordaz made his first MLS Regular Season and LAFC start.
- LAFC forward Yekeson Subah, who signed a short-term agreement from LAFC2, made his Major League Soccer debut, coming on as a substitute in the 77th minute.