(East Los Angeles, CA) July 18, 2022 [From The Editor’s Desk]: The explosive, and now greatly reinforced LAFC war wagon continues to roll over opponents in its surge to strengthen their positioning in the top spot in the MLS’ Western Conference. Witness last Sunday’s match when they were in the state of Tennessee to confront the Nashville SC in their inaugural clash with each other.
We offer you the press announcement that was issued after the match by the LAFC Communications Department.
LAFC DEFEATS NASHVILLE SC 2-1
Giorgio Chiellini And Gareth Bale Make MLS Debut
In the first-ever match between the clubs, LAFC defeated Nashville SC (2-1) on Sunday night at GEODIS Park behind goals from Cristian Arango and Jose Cifuentes. The victory snapped a two-game winless streak on the road and marked the club’s first away win against a Western Conference opponent this season. The Black & Gold have climbed back to the top of the MLS standings with a (13-4-3) record valued at (42 points).
[Photo Gallery Courtesy]: LAFC
Cristian Arango opened the scoring in the 27th minute, putting away a pass from Ryan Hollingshead to give the Black & Gold the lead. Nashville’s Hany Mukhtar would equalize, levelling the score on a penalty kick in the 43rd minute, awarded after Video Review. LAFC came out strong in the second half taking back the lead in the 46th minute on a Jose Cifuentes goal.
LAFC’s newest additions, Giorgio Chiellini and Gareth Bale, both made their MLS debuts on Sunday night with Chiellini starting the match on the back line and logging (60) minutes and Bale entered the match in the (71st) minute to help close out the game.
The Black & Gold will be back in action on the road next Saturday, July 23rd to take on Sporting Kansas City at Children’s Mercy Park. That game will kick- off at 5:30 p.m. PT and will be broadcast on KCOP 13, Estrella TV 62.2 and ESPN+ and on radio on 710 AM ESPN, ESPN LA app and 980 AM La Mera Mera (ESP).
NEWS & NOTES:
- Giorgio Chiellini and Gareth Bale both made their LAFC debut in the match with Chiellini starting on the back line and Bale entering the match in the 71st minute.
- Cristian Arango, who scored in the 27th minute, continues to lead the club with (8) regular season goals with six of those coming in his last seven games.
- LAFC struck first in the match gaining the upper hand on the Cristian Arango goal scored in the 27th minute. LAFC remains undefeated with a perfect (10-0-0) record when scoring first.
- LAFC improves their road record to 5-3-1 (13-4-3 overall) claiming (16) of a possible (27) points when playing on the road.
- Sunday night’s win marks LAFC’s first road victory against a Western Conference opponent this season.
- Including the two goals scored in Sunday’s match, LAFC is now just seven goals away from (300) regular season goals.