(East Los Angeles, CA) [From The Editor’s Desk]: This is a FREE community service event sponsored by our L.A. County Department of Parks & Recreation (aka) L.A. County Parks, and will take place this coming Saturday Oct. 1st at East L.A. Community College. This year’s theme is: “Girls With Dreams Become Women With Vision.”Please take a look and give it a good read for all of the details you’ll need to know. This will be the 8th consecutive year of this event. At the time of this posting there were still 100 slots available.
“GIRLS WITH DREAMS BECOME WOMEN WITH VISION”
The I Matter-Girls Empowerment Conference Comes to East Los Angeles College for its 8th Year!
You’re invited to the 8th annual, I Matter-Girls Empowerment Conference on October 1st, 2022!
The Los Angeles County Department of Parks and Recreation (LA County Parks) proudly presents this FREE event, offering girls ages (12-18) the opportunity to attend this year’s exciting event at East Los Angeles College. Participants will hear from powerful women innovators, educators, trailblazers and beyond! Girls will have an opportunity to connect with their peers and speakers to feel connected, inspired, and empowered.
LA County Parks will host workshops, panels, and keynote speakers. Girls are invited to join and participate in all events, including a Girl Power Lunch Party Experience! We have a variety of experiences and workshops including:
- Girls Directing Change – view and discuss powerful short films created by youth aimed at educating young people about critical mental health and social justice issues.
- Step into Your Power – an unapologetic space where girls to tap into their strengths and cultivate a feeling of belonging in all spaces.
- Be YOU Vision Board – Focus on building self-love, self-esteem and finding genuine happiness by being your true self
- Think You Can Dance? – join the groove and immerse yourself in the movement and culture of hip hop and other popular dance styles.
- The Art of Spinning – get hands-on experience of spinning like a club DJ while also learning the career and business side of DJing!
- You Throw Like a Girl – learn how women have been breaking gender stereotypes in the field of sports, politics, and business; not only on the field but off the field as well
- GEC Resource Activation – spend some networking, connecting with peers and enjoying art-based activities hosted by various government and community-based organizations
The I Matter-Girls Empowerment Conference will kick off on Saturday, October 1, at 10 AM following an introduction from LA County Parks Director, Norma Edith García-González.
Last year, over 1,200 girls joined us for the I Matter-Girls Empowerment Conference. Don’t miss out on your chance to be part of this year’s exciting event – register today!