In the early ’90s, East L.A. Sports Scene was created and produced by Rico Cabrera, Sr. The inaugural program aired on Saturday, March 3, 1991 via the East Los Angeles-based Buenavision Cable TV Company, then owned by Mr. Moctezuma Esparza.
At that time, Rico’s main objective in creating and then developing this sports production enterprise was to provide increased publicity to the athletic programs of Roosevelt and Garfield High Schools, East Los Angeles Community College, and Cal State Los Angeles University. In addition, through his consistent weekly 60 minutes programming, he provided a wide variety of sports programming to thousands of residents of the greater East Los Angeles community who were subscribers. East L.A. Sports Scene has been viewed by local East L.A. cable TV subscribers via Buenavision, Adelphia, and ultimately, Time Warner systems, in that respective order. All programs originated in East Los Angeles and reached an average annual demographic of 25,000 subscriber households.
In moving ahead to 2009, East L.A. Sports Scene had the great fortune of partnering with the Boyle Heights Technology Youth Center (BHTYC) for continuation of its “In-Studio” programming. Thanks to the leadership of Ozzie Lopez, the Center’s Executive Director, this type of programming for East Los Angeles continues to be a reality. In 2011, Esteban Torres High School was added to our list of schools seeking coverage of their athletic events via our weekly “High School Game of the Week.”
The most recent program accomplishment and milestone will reflect that East L.A. Sports Scene celebrated its 22nd consecutive year of production on March 3, 2012. Now, to start our 23rd year of consecutive programming in 2013, Rico has decided to embark in a new direction with East L.A. Sports Scene.
The production staff has produced hundreds of “In-Studio” shows as well as field productions with “Play-By-Play” calls for all of our East L.A. high schools, and Community College athletic events. Throughout the years, community residents and high-school aged “interns” have provided, and will continue to provide, invaluable assistance in keeping the show “On-line” and “In-production.” East L.A. Sports Scene has always, and will continue, to keep our community informed on the progress of its teams and the performances of its young and outstanding student-athletes, both Boys and Girls. A note should be taken here that we will also focus our media efforts at highlighting those community-based organizations, youth centers, etc. who are essential and critical in providing year-round sports programming to all of our deserving youth.
Again, we thank you for your great interest and community support of our ongoing endeavor to bring high quality internet programming to you, our most valued viewers. At your convenience, we would ask you to please take a moment and send us your contact information via e-mail.
Wishing each and everyone of our longtime, and new followers, the Best in viewing of East L.A. Sports Scene!!
Production Highlights: (Partial Listing Only)
• East Los Angeles Classics, 2010-2011-2012. Produced in High Definition (HD) – Roosevelt High School vs. Garfield High School
• East L.A. College “Huskies” Football and Basketball
• East L.A. Classic- Roosevelt vs. Garfield Inaugural Alumni Football Game
• Roosevelt High School Varsity – Eastern Conference; Play-By-Play
• Garfield High School Varsity – Eastern Conference,; Play-By-Play
• Esteban Torres High School Varsity
• Wilson High School Varsity – Northern Conference;
• USC Trojans, PAC-10 & Conference, NCAA Division 1 Football
• PAC 12 Conference
• Roosevelt vs. Garfield, Boys & Girls Basketball
• NCAA Tournament, 2006, Indianapolis, Indiana, coverage of UCLA-Final Four
• USA Basketball, Senior Men’s Basketball Team, Preparations for FIBA World Championships, 2008 Beijing Olympic Games
• Pacific Life PAC-10 Men’s & Women’s Basketball Tournament, NCAA D-1
• UCLA and USC Men’s Basketball, PAC-10 Conference play, NCAA D-1
• Rico’s Get Better League 2008, NCAA Sanctioned Mens’ Summer League,
• Salesian High School Boys Basketball; Play-By-Play, C.I.F. Southern Section
• PAC 12 Conference
• Exclusive coverage of Professional Boxers, Shawn Estrada and Carlos Molina
• Women’s, NCAA, D-1/PAC 12, USC and UCLA
/ 2 years ago
Attention To All of our followers who are Roosevelt Rough Rider Alumni. The 2018...
Note From The Editor: As we eagerly begin the 2017-2018 school year, we felt...
Note From The Editor: We bring all of our followers great and exciting news...
Note From The Editor: For the ever-growing number of avid and devout members of...
Note From The Editor: We invite you to view Exclusive interviews with Head Football Coach, Bobby Godinez, East L.A....
/ 4 years ago
Note #1 From The Editor: We invite you to spend the next 35 minutes...
/ 5 years ago
Note From The Editor: As we begin the 2015 football season, we take a...
/ 5 years ago
Note From The Editor: Time to meet “Up Close and Personal” an individual who...